Monday July 24, 1922

Monday July 24.

Lat 39° 59’ N. Long 10° 47’ W. 306 miles travelled during 24 hours till noon today.
Today has been a day of cause and effect. After rounding Cape Finisterre we have been sailing practically due south. This means that the waves strike us now broadside on – causing the ship to roll from side to side instead of the usual pitching and tossing. This is cause 1. Suggestion from stories, from the behaviour of others probably contributed its share
Effect: Mal de Mer.
This is a malady which effects those that go down to the sea in ships – particularly in the early days of their going down. It may be divided into the following stages:
1 - Feeling. 
2 - Being.
3 - Convalescence.
The onset may be sudden or gradual – usually there are premonitory signs. Stage 1 may be protracted over a period of hours or even days. Stage 2 is usually followed by a rapid recovery. The malady resembles appendicitis in raising the patient (or victim) to a higher state of fitness than was his case before the onset of the condition. Now let us pass from the general to the particular:

Woke about 6.0 am feeling uncomfortable, decided to remain in bed instead of attempting breakfast. Retrogressed during the morning and by midday saw everything with a “well jaundiced eye”. My cabin had become a miserable cupboard, the ship a place well-nigh on impossible to live in, and the sea – oh well I did allow the sea to remain, but the ship: if only it could roll clean over at least the monotony would be relieved!

Everything was annoying: the very roundness of the portholes was most irritating and the squareness of the doors & straightness of the deck planks almost unbearable. I got up at 1.0, stayed on deck till 7.0pm; then, omitting stage 2 altogether, suddenly passed through a rapid convalescence, took a walk, went down to dinner, ate a hearty meal, returned to bed fit and woke feeling fitter. Now my cabin is a jolly little room: the ship is A1 and the world a better place than even it was before. 
The only thing I fancied this morning was a big helping of mother’s kidney pudding (with plenty of pudding). The thought of fish nearly drove me silly. Now I feel I’m cured I could eat cod in a storm – and enjoy it.
Let the good ship corkscrew and twist as much as it likes – I care not now – I like it – at least so I feel at present: if we had a real storm my opinion might alter. At any rate “where ignorance is bliss…”

0 comments:

Post a Comment